Thursday, August 19, 2010

What are people's opinions of recruiters and online job postings?

I%26#039;ve been seeing a lot of job postings online, through companies and recruiters, and haven%26#039;t had much success. I have 10 yrs experience in my field with a leading company, but when I%26#039;ve applied I don%26#039;t get many responses. Do companies just post jobs simply to gather a database of prospective employees?? One company did fly me to NJ to interview a month ago and I still have not gotten a response other than %26quot;you are a very strong candidate and we%26#039;re still making our decision%26quot;.|||Short answer, online job postings are bad %26amp; Yes companies do put job orders on their site to keep a database of potential employees. They also get a tax credit for “public outreach” and that is why some of the major companies show up to every job fair even if they do not have jobs. This also helps them with their Equal Opportunity Employment standards.





I have worked in career development for over 4 years now, and placed over 1,500 people into employment. I have worked with about 1000 employers in my area and talked to all of them about their hiring practices. What I have found is that nothing works better than a phone book when it comes to finding a job. If you can approach a company BEFORE they post that costly add in the paper you both win (Your competition is reduced to 0 %26amp; the company does not have to conduct a huge/costly search). If you have 10 years experience in the field, you should know who else is in that industry, go to them in person and drop off a resume %26amp; speak to the HR manager.





If they have a formal “apply on line” process, do it, and then go in person and talk to the HR manager. Have a 60 second speech prepared to sell yourself to them. Also you should have a few questions for them in case they look at you weird like “why did this person come in”, like I was just wondering how soon you were looking to fill this position? You can also throw in there that “I’ve researched this company and it looks perfect for me, I just wanted to shake the hand of the person I’ll be working for next week” It’s confident, and borderline cocky, but if your going for a professional position they may like it.|||well they are 2 different animals. I think online job posting sites are not very helpful other than entry level jobs. Recruiters help you get real jobs for people with your experience. if you are talking about companies that post their jobs online well, they have to post them. Most times they already have someone in mind before they post it and just post it to make sure they follow the rules.





you should look at recruiters in your field, those that specialize. they get paid if you get hired so they really do want to place you. calls are the best way as email tends to get overwhelming and a call makes them at least think of your name

No comments:

Post a Comment