Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do you decline a job offer from a friend?

I was offered a job at my friends work doing the same exact job I am doing now at my current place. I feel it would be just a waste to switch for the same job, same salary, and frankly lesser benefits. However, my friend and her boss are really excited at the thought of me coming to their place of work and I get a sense that if I decline I will hurt my friend%26#039;s feelings badly. How do I go about stating a decline to the offer in a friendly way?|||I always tell people - don%26#039;t work with friends or spouses, only leads to trouble. It appears that your friend is only an employee at this other company so I would just explain that you are happy where you are and that a lateral move with decreased benefits is not a good move. You should be striving to get ahead.|||If it hurts their feelings, they%26#039;re not really a friend.|||I would straight up tell him what you posted here in a nice way. Say that you appreciate the offer, but you are going to continue at your current place and arent switching because of the reasons you listed. Since he is a friend he should understand.|||Not only do you have three considerations that are: %26quot;the same%26quot;, %26quot;the same%26quot; and %26quot;lesser%26quot;; there are two more that will, in effect, disappear. Has her boss mentioned how he will reconcile your insurance and seniority?





Are they willing to waive the standard waiting period for insurance? (Notice I used the word standard, not mandatory.) Because so many variables are directly associated with the date of hire, it is doubtful your new supervisor would be able to effectively compensate for your loss of seniority.





The only implied advantage would be the possibility of promotion. How difficult would it be for both of you to compete head to head and lose? Why take a chance? Thank your friend for the compliment and take here to dinner. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment