Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How do you explain to potential employers why you quit your last job?

I recently quit my job after two years because I just could not stand my boss anymore. I loved my job, but I hated my boss. Now I am looking for a new job. I want to know how to go about explaining this on potential interviews. Should I mention it at all or just lie?|||It is better to be discrete about the real reason you quit. If you are %26quot;upfront%26quot; about it it might tend to imply that you have %26quot;authority issues%26quot;. While it is not necessary to lie it is also not imperative that you be brutally honest either. You might say that it was just time for you to %26quot;move on%26quot; and that you had %26quot;outgrown the position%26quot;.


And hey....good luck..you will do fine!!!|||Say something like you felt you had learned all you were going to learn at your last job (kind of true, since a difficult boss can make it difficult to gain any real experience, you hate your boss, so you hate going to work and all your thinking about while at work is leaving, so you don%26#039;t think about work). You could say that although you enjoy your current position, you feel like that it wasn%26#039;t really a good fit for you. Needing a change is also a good one.|||Did you leave on bad terms with your boss? Will he give you a bad reference?


If not, then I would just say you left to pursue a new career. It%26#039;s always better to look for another job before you leave your previous one, that way you can give the reason that you really want to work for that company.


If asked in an interview, I would say something like you knew there was no potential for growth there and you are looking for a job that can afford you a long career with growth potential.


You wouldn%26#039;t want to give a potentail employer a reason to not hire you (doesn%26#039;t work well with others or is very judgemental) which may or may not be true, but might come across that way if you are completely honest.


Good luck!|||When asked about it you should stay positive, never bash a former job or boss, just put it like,





%26quot;I decided to leave my last job to expand my skillset and gain some type of experience other than what i was doing there. i felt that there was no place for advancement with that company. im a very hard worker and was just kinda stuck doing the same thing every day with no chance to advance. im really looking for a company that i can use my knowledge to help grow. ive got a great personality and am a great team player.%26quot;





ya know something like that. make it look like you left your last job because you are moving onto bigger and better things. dont ever sound bitter like an when someone is talking about their ex bf or gf. thats a big mistake in interviews people make.





companies lie all the time in interviews, youre not lying, youre just not telling them the whole story because you are trying to sell this company on the good parts of you not the bad parts of that company or old boss.|||Say this%26quot; Allthough I loved my old job..I didnt feel challenged anymore...So I decided leave to look for something else to persue and thats why I am interested in this company Mr. interviewer!%26quot;





Try it out :)|||Use very vague terms unless they ask.





%26quot;Difference in philosophy%26quot;


%26quot;Wanted to go a different direction%26quot;


%26quot;Needed a change%26quot;|||Employers like honest emplyees.


Tell the truth, find a word that is more appropriate than %26quot;HATE%26quot; , maybe think of why you didn%26#039;t like your boss. critical? rude? what?


It matters more if you a good match for the position than why you left your last job.|||You shouldn%26#039;t give them all the gory details, it might just sound like sour grapes. It would be safer to gloss it over with something like you %26quot;are looking for more opportunities for growth, or advancement%26quot;.|||I have found that some employers including myself prefer the truth and who knows we may know and dislike the person you quit and glad we got you or atleast thats me|||you definitely don%26#039;t want to lie to your potential boss and/or coworkers. you should just tell the truth-say you were unhappy with the way you were treated, or whatever made you quit.


being truthful will let them know that they can trust you as an employee.|||i dont know i am wondering about that


what if i put i got fired|||%26quot;while i loved my job it was not a position that would afford me an opportunity to grow%26quot;.|||NEVER EVER bash an old boss to a potential boss. I absolutely cannot stand that in interviews. If you trash the old boss, chances are you%26#039;ll trash me too. Stay positive and just say you were looking for new opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment