Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do I pay taxes if I have an online job?

I will begin a job as an online administrative assistant. I will be getting paid for my services via money orders in a fixed amount each week. My question is: how do I pay taxes on this? I am handicapped and received SSI until I got married. So this is my first job so I have no idea how to file taxes or about income tax in general. Could someone please provide me with some information on what I need to do.|||Come April, you%26#039;ll need to fill out a form 1040. Keep track of everything you make this year from your job because you%26#039;ll need to report it on the form. If they send you a W-2 form, it will have all that info already. There are instructions on the 1040. I%26#039;d go into more detail but don%26#039;t have time right now. Have fun!|||Depending on how your new job operates, at the end of the year, they should send you a form, probably a W2, which you use to fill out your 1044 tax form. They may also possibly send you a 1099 form which you use when filling out a form saying you are self-employed but working for another, usually a schedule C. If they send you no form then you have to file a schedule C, saying you have your own business, and you are %26quot;contracting%26quot; this job. You have to keep track of your pay stubs, etc. and then if they have not taken taxes out of your Money orders, you have to report your earnings and pay taxes. You should ask you new employer what type of form they will send, and if they will be withholding taxes so you can better prepare. If they say they are doing no withholding, then as I said save everything, and if you don%26#039;t feel comfortable doing your own taxes, go to a tax place like H%26amp;R Block. If you think you can do it, use a computer program like Turbo Tax. It walks you through the entire process by asking questions.|||As I understood you are considered to be a self-employed person. To declare your income,therefore, you have to file schedule C along with your tax return. You will show your earned income there along with all necessary and ordinary expenses associated with your business(computer and other expenses) The difference between your income and expenses(profit) will be taxed at the special rate. There is so much that has to be done, it%26#039;s beyond the quick answer. I am a professional tax preparer, so if you would like to use my help, e-mail me please at alikmal@yahoo.com. just include %26quot;tax help needed%26quot; in the subject. Good luck with your tax filings and your new job.|||All the answers that mention W-2%26#039;s apply only to %26quot;employees%26quot;. If you were an %26quot;employee%26quot;, your employer would be required to withhold taxes from your pay. Since taxes are not withheld from you pay, whoever is paying is considering you an independent contractor, and not an employee, and will not give you a W-2.





The answer from alikmal is on the right track. After the tax year ends, you complete either a Schedule C or a Schedule C-EZ. At that time, you also complete a Schedule SE and a 1040. You pay income tax (variable rate) and self-employment tax (usually 15.3%).





Generally speaking, you are not allowed to wait until the end of the year to start paying and must send some of the money early. Use Form 1040-ES to determine how much %26quot;estimated tax%26quot; to send the IRS and when it is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment