Thursday, August 19, 2010

How long should I keep a job so it doesnt look bad to a future employer?

I started a new job in January as a phlebotomist. I have to get up around 4:15 in the morning every day to get to my shift on time and then I%26#039;m a full time student. I feel exhausted and would like more time to study for nursing school. I%26#039;ve worked there almost 2 months and am thinking about quitting in May because of the load of classes I%26#039;m taking over the summer. What do you think? Will that look bad?|||actually if you quit because of school..it doesn%26#039;t look bad at all|||I won%26#039;t look great, however, if you can show on a resume that it was to further your education, it won%26#039;t kill ya.





Just be careful not to have alot of time gaps on your resume, and you should be fine.|||I would consider reducing your class load or even putting it off for a few months. Employers do look at your length of time at previous employers. As a general guideline, consider the following:


90 days or less: Doesn%26#039;t look too good


6 months: OK, but longer would have been better


1 year: Dependable but not a managment candidate


5 years or more: Managment candidate





Of course, these are just guidelines for non-degree related feilds. However, the longer you can stay at a job, the better it looks on a resume.|||That%26#039;s easily explainable. Go ahead and quit.|||I think it varies from industry to industry, and job to job. Some jobs like hospitality are used to high turnovers, I mean, how many young waitresses and bartenders do that job for more than a means to an end! :-) But other jobs demand more.





Are you casual or full-time? Casual workers are generally seen as more %26quot;able%26quot; to swap jobs - and if you job-skip as a casual, it%26#039;s generally not worried about too much.





It also comes down to a lot of factors. People that quit jobs because they just can%26#039;t be bothered (i.e. want to just sit around unemployed) or are constantly on the look for easier jobs with more pay are frowned on - however, if you make it clear you quit for study, most reasonable employers will understand that! After all, it%26#039;s nursing you want to do as a career - not this.





I%26#039;m in a similar setup. I%26#039;m training as a flying instructor at the moment, however, to make ends meet, I took up a job working shifts in a gold mine in my town. The days suit me well - 4 days on, 4 days off, and the pay is good - however, the hours are a killer - two 12 hour day shifts from 5am - 5pm then two 12 hour night shifts from 5pm - 5am, working down a mine...hard work! I don%26#039;t intend to do it forever - and although I was put on as full-time in December (I had a 1-month casual contract before that) my new boss asked how long I intended to stay and I said no more than a year - probably 6 months to a year which was fine. They want people to stay - but they understood study. Plus they know mining is hard work!





By then, you%26#039;ll have done half a year. If you work hard and can get a good reference from them, then I think that any concerns with lack of job commitment will be more than covered by a good reference from them and citing on your resume that you left to continue study.





Hope this helps! Please contact me if i can help more!|||The key is that you are also a full time student and your studies should come first. I am not sure how old you are or what you%26#039;re financial obligations are, but you don%26#039;t have to feel that you should stay at a job that is hurting you in any way.


Most college students have many part time or temporary jobs, and while each job can add to your skill level, some can also get in the way of reaching your career and education goals.


So, I say quit and don%26#039;t worry about it!|||Not if you are in school full time. A lot of people have weird histories while they are in college. You may want to talk to your employer and see if they would be willing to hire you back later on when the summer round of classes is over. That stuff looks great to an employer.





At the very least be gracious and ask them to be an employment reference.|||Perhaps, but it may also look worse if you try to take on more of a load than you can handle, especially if you%26#039;re exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment