Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do I find an Investment Banking job without prior experience?

I am currently working for a big CPA firm. I have two years of experiences. I am looking to make a switch to Financing, particular Investment Banking. I have been searching for an associate position at many of the IB firms, but all of them seem to require an MBA or IB experience. Due to this reason I am planning to apply to business school. Is it possible for me to find a IB or equity research job without prior experiences or an MBA? If so, how?|||In today%26#039;s America fat chance. I know people with MBAs from decent schools working as tellers. The late-90s are no more.|||You have very little chance. There are too many people with MBA%26#039;s and IB experience that will be after the same jobs. You might be able to work at a bank that also has a IB. Then in a couple of years do an internal transfer. Even an MBA might not get you in. One from a good school helps, but there are no guarantees.|||I recommend you try to find an internship with a smaller bank. Getting into a bulge bracket firm will be tough, but if you can find a way to get in front of a smaller bank, they may be able to offer you an internship. You need to go out and network and meet as many bankers as possible. You have to sell yourself on being enthusiastic and a go-getter. It will also help if you went to a good school, but that is less important at smaller investment banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment