Sunday, August 22, 2010

How many years job experience would make you feel "good enough" to be an expert?

Hi. I just wonder some people would feel %26quot;good enough%26quot; to do your job in order to be called as a professional only with a couple of years, on the other hand, some would say their profession needs more than ten years experience to be called the same.





How many years at least do you need to have to be called as expert on your job? Is it enough to have only a couple of years?|||Peace and respect to you my friend.





I%26#039;m an electrician and work in maintenance fields on automatic machinery and instrumentation, and it took me at least 4 years to train and become qualified, then a further 3-4 years to become proficient. When I%26#039;ve moved jobs, it takes another 1-2 years to learn the new plant and equipment to become proficient again. With new technology coming in all the time, you never really become on top because you are constantly learning new ways to do stuff. But after around 10 years into the trade, I guess you should be able to could call yourself pretty damn good and you should be earning top money with the right employer.|||This is a hard one to answer. It depends upon (as you obviously, know) the complexity of the job.


I was a supervisor in a local government office (UK) and I used to say to new staff %26#039;It%26#039;s not rocket science, but it will take you a couple of years to get the hang of everything%26#039; - the job was so varied and there was lots to learn...somethings only occurring, say once a year, for example.


It also depends on how quick you are a picking up things, and how intelligent you are at putting that knowledge into practice.


I once had an employee (with a degree) who always needed to ask how to do things...over and over and over again. Whilst others got told once/shown once...and that was it.


Sorry not to be able to give an exact answer|||I have been in catering for over 25 years. I am what i would call self taught. I went from fish %26amp; chip shops to old peoples homes, chocolate factory (bad move - my weight doubled!) to cooking in pubs and managing at a local educational establishment all with out a %26#039;professional%26#039; qualification. I have never called myself a chef until recently when i became qualified. However i do realise that there is so much to learn in the catering industry that i would still feel intimidated by a chef that had been %26#039;traditionally%26#039; trained by that i mean a hotel background. Good question.|||It depends on your capacity to learn and the job you are in - A doctor is an expert and takes a clever man many years to be be recognised as an expert in that role - a bricklayer may take fewer years but is still considered an expert.


I suppose it%26#039;s the point at which you can do that %26#039;thing%26#039; better than someone else and people are willing to accept your expertise by payment or other recognition|||in any job no matter how long you have been there.you are always learning.so to be a expert.you will have to stay in the job all your life.because every job changes.with new things ect ect|||I%26#039;m unemployed, I%26#039;d say that you%26#039;d have to learn the art of leeching to be called an expert (you know getting money from your parents.... that kinda stuff).





Hope this helped|||you need to be at least 60 to be an expert at anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment