Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How is the job market for recent college grads in Boston?

I recently finished university degrees in business and finance and am thinking about moving to Boston.





Is Boston%26#039;s economy strong right now? Is it relatively easy to land a decent job or is there extreme competition for every available position? Do the available jobs tend to be good enough to make up for the high cost of living there?





I%26#039;ve been in places where jobs were plentiful (e.g. Raleigh) and places where they were scarce (e.g. Portland, OR), but I have no idea what Boston is like right now.





Thanks!|||The thing about New England is that the distances are very short. You could easily live in New Hampshire or Rhode Island and commute to a job inside of I495.





The cost of living is goes down dramatically if you live outside of I495. I live in NH, on the seacoast and drive to a job in the Boston area. My home cost under $300K and I live a mile from the beach. I drive a hybrid, so my weekly gas bill is less than $30, yet I drive in excess of 400 miles a week. Granted I spend 10+hours a day away from home, and my cars are throw aways.





All things bio-technology are hot in Boston right now. Look at a trade rag online called Mass High Tech. www.masshightech.com. This will give you insight to whats happening in the business world around the area.|||My honest suggestion, it%26#039;s a great city, but not for new grads. Chances are you aren%26#039;t going to start off with a high paying job and Boston is a very expensive city to live in, Massachusetts in general is very expensive and is not well-suited for a new grad. student. My advice, work a couple of years, get some experience and get a higher paying job.|||The job market in Boston is great, however, it is also a very expensive city to live in. You%26#039;d have to know exactly what you are up against before you put yourself in financial stress. It can be difficult with a starting pay to make ends meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment