Wednesday, July 21, 2010

About my job...What would you do if you liked your job and the people you worked with, but just not the shift?

I am a ICU nurse who works the 7p to 7a shift with no chance of moving to the day shift. I like my co workers and am mildly satisfied with my job. The pay is good, its close to home. But I am 25, and have been a nurse for 5 years and am like, I%26#039;ve seen everything I need to see being in the hospital setting. I am considering travel nursing just because I figure I should go and see the world before I get married or have kids. Just so I can see other places and see where I want to settle down.But I%26#039;m comfortable. I own my own home here, have family and friends, What should I do??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.|||I do not know why you %26quot;have no chance to move to another shift%26quot;. Nurses are very much in demand, and it sounds like you should be able to write your own ticket, if not there where you are, in another hospital. A question to ask yourself, is %26quot;Do I want to move, as in sell my house and go elsewhere? Or would just traveling to different countries satisfy that need? You could also rent out your house and then try it for some months in another state and see if that is what you want. Or even go to another country and work for a while, seeing the country on the weekends and after work. You are young, and yes, you should see some of the world before you settle down.|||Take a look at your employee manual. Look for a sabbatical or an extended leave of absence. Take a year off, work abroad, then you can come back to your job. With the experience you have gained your supervisor might change you to a shift of your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment