Friday, July 16, 2010

How can a get a job in photography?

I am 18. I never finished school. I want to be a photographer. I dont know what I have to do to be able to or how to find a job with that. Any advice?|||You could try the micro stock sites, you could sell your current pictures there while you develop your style and decide what area is right for you.





It%26#039;s probably the easiest first step. You can see what standards are required, and what people who buy large amounts of photographs are looking for.|||If you have some talent then check with your local newspaper or portrait business... see if they need an assistant photographer, or ask if the newspaper takes freelance photos. Its a start!|||First you would have to get educated on photography. There is a lot more than just pointing and shooting. You probably don%26#039;t need a degree, but you would definitely have to have an intimate knowledge of camera functions, lighting, photoshop, and be able to compose a good picture. Try taking some courses at a community college. You would also need to put a portfolio together. To get started selling photos you could sign up with www.istockphoto.com. It is a site where users submit and sell photos. Good luck!|||What field of photography do you wish to go into?





Stock Photography:


If you are interested in going into this i would suggest putting your photos on a free stock website like


http://bigstockphoto.com


http://www.dreamstime.com/


there are many other websites like this online. Then after you become comfortable try a stock website that give you better commission per photo. You will have to pay a member fee though.





Portrait Photography:


For this field if you are planning on going into it. I would suggest you find a job at a studio first. Check out if there are any private portrait studios around you to see if they are currently hiring an assistant. If there are none, department stores like Target, JC penny and Sears all have photography studios most of the time in the store itself. Apply for a job there, get some experience, learn some new things and then maybe open up your own studio. Also try offering senior pictures in the fall. I know many seniors want their photos taken early.





Press:


Check with some of your local papers to see if they are hiring at this time. Press photography pays quite well. For me at least. I receive $10 per photo and $15 per cover photo. As a staff member of the paper you will receive more. If they are not hiring, check if they are accepting submissions. Go to public events or something you find that you think the paper might want. Get a hold of their staff photographer and get in contact with them.





Wedding:


How I go into the wedding photography business was I was asked to shoot a wedding from my friend. I did this job for free cause it was my first time and also a close friend. What this did for me was A) Allow me to learn the flow of the events and what to predict and B) build up a portfolio for future clients. All though i did this for free ( no shooting charge) I charged for prints which is where i got my money from. This got me more jobs and I eventually teamed up with a friend for a wedding photography job. This field makes good money





Wildlife / Landscape:


The best way to sell these photos are to get a website and sell the prints online. Services like smugmug.com will host the photos for you and do all the printing while you make the money from the prints itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment