Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How do I retract my acceptance of a new job after I got a counteroffer from my current employer?

I accepted a job offer with my old boss. However, a week before my departure from my current job, I got a GREAT counteroffer from my current employer. What is the best way to go back to my old boss and retract my acceptance without burning bridges?|||He shouldn%26#039;t have a problem understanding...


I%26#039;m quite certain he already knows you%26#039;re only looking after your best interest. If he gives you an attitude, maybe he shouldn%26#039;t even be a boss to begin with|||Actually, I would recommend you spend some time thinking about why you wanted to leave your current employer in the first place. Is the counter-offer truly going to address all issues -- probably not. Most HR professionals will tell you that when an employee accepts a counter-offer to stay in a current position, they rarely last more than 6-12 months before again announcing that they are leaving for another opportunity.





Many employers feel somewhat betrayed by you looking elsewhere, no matter what they say to you directly. You went looking and didn%26#039;t tell them there were problems or that you were dissatisfied. You%26#039;ve done it once, what%26#039;s to say you won%26#039;t do it again?





If you were upset/dissatisfied/bored enough to go looking for a new job in the first place, then I%26#039;d take the offer with old boss and run with it.





Good luck|||There is nothing like telling the truth. You can assuage your old boss%26#039;s feelings by saying that if it does not work out you will let him know.





Peace and blessings!|||Honesty is the best policy hear. - Simply tell him that you have been countered to stay and that the money is to good to pass. He might actually counter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment