Friday, July 16, 2010

How do I build friendships in a new job?

I Just started a new job in August. I feel that my coworkers are not very open. There%26#039;s 2 of us who are new in my workplace but I feel that they are more open to the other person. I feel this because they have small talks, whereas if im there, we both do our jobs and do not chat about anything other than work-related issues. It might be personality differences...It takes a while for me to warm up to new people. What can I do?|||Just go up and make a short comment about something. %26quot;Man can you believe this weather?%26quot; The pick up on what they are saying and just start chatting.





Sometimes the conversation comes to a lull, where a direction is not obvious. Just end it there, by saying, that you%26#039;d better get back to work or you fall behind or whatever. No reason to push it.|||I%26#039;m a master of doing that since i used to have a part time job in a 24 hour store in Japan and Japanese people as polite they are they don%26#039;t talk much. So, what you can do is next time you are with one of you cooworkers and you don%26#039;t have much to do, you can talk about recent news. you can just say like %26quot;hey, did you hear about what happened in....%26quot; or you can just give your opinon about something like politics or other stuff. Or if you want to start on the funny side you can start by saying %26quot;hey, i heard the funniest thing the other day....%26quot; of course it would help that this relates to the job you are in. and from then you can start a conversation.





good luck.|||I was in the same situation just a while ago. Basically just smile and make sure to say hello whenever you come in. Start up conversations whenever possible and be open and friendly. Eventually they%26#039;ll open up =)

No comments:

Post a Comment