Friday, July 16, 2010

How do you decline a job after you have a accepted it?

I just graduated from college and I needed a job. I went to an interview with a marketing company and got hired on the spot to sell houseware stuff. Then soon after that jobs that actually have to do with my degree started calling me. I am really over-qualified for the job, but I needed some money. How do I get out of this job professionally, i haven%26#039;t started training yet and I haven%26#039;t signed any paper work yet or anything.|||I had to rescind an offer I accepted because of the location. Regardless, the best way to do it is as follows.





1. As soon as you know you will not be taking the job, that day you should make a point to let the company know - they have other candidates they interviewed - the sooner they know the faster they can find a replacement.


2. You should let them know by phone (or in person) to make sure you can connect with the hiring manager on a personal level.


3. Prepare your statement so that it puts the company in the best light. For example, you could say:


%26quot;I am flattered that you offered me the job on the spot, and appreciate the attention you have given me. However, I was soon after offered a job that leverages my college skills and I have decided to pursue that opportunity instead. I appreciate the time you took to interview me. I just found out today about this other opportunity and I wanted to let you know as soon as possible to provide you as much time as possible to find another candidate.%26quot;


4. Remember that the other person is human, too. We have all made decisions which we soon after regretted or had to change due to extenuating circumstances. Hiring managers have all had candidates change their minds for various reasons - and they have (or should have) back up candidates.





Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes.|||With the same grace with which you accepted it in the first place. Explain to the company that when you accepted the job you really needed the money but that you have since been offered a job that better matches your degree qualifications and have decided to accept that one instead. Believe me, they will understand.|||Call up your employer and tell them the truth. Tell them that you appreciate the fact they want you on their team but however you have to unfortunetly decline the position. You hope that this won%26#039;t dampen any future relationships with the company you might have.





If you do it sounding remorse and professional they shouldn%26#039;t have a problem. You can even through in that you are wanting to find a job that focuses more on what got a degree in. If you have the hiring manager%26#039;s email you can email them the letter instead of talking on the phone. Otherwise just make the call. Don%26#039;t go into detail unless they ask and try and keep it under 5-10 minutes. Good luck!|||Ask Billy Donovan|||I%26#039;d suggest calling up them up and asking if you can come in for a small %26quot;sit-down%26quot; or %26quot;meeting%26quot;. Most likely they will say yes. When you go in explain to them that although you appreciate the job offer that an offer directly related to your degree has offered you a job and you would like experience in the field that you are starting your career in.





After you speak with them follow up with a thank you letter for the offering of the job, but decline it.





Good luck!|||Call them and tell them you have had a change of heart.|||Very awkwardly.


Call,explain you found a position which is more in line with your background, tell them %26quot;Thanks%26quot; and apologize for any convenience you may have caused.


This happens often, so don%26#039;t worry about it.


Congratulations, and good luck.|||That%26#039;s a very awkward position, but as in many other life situations, honesty is the best policy here. As the others pointed out, you should let the person who hired you know directly and explain your reasons thoroughly.|||Suggestion.


Go in and personally speak to the person who hired you. Don%26#039;t do this sort of thing by telephone. It%26#039;s not very acceptable. Explain everything to them just like you did here. They should completely understand and if they don%26#039;t then you still walk away with knowing that you handled the situation in the most appropriate way you possibly could.





Good Luck!|||I have a little different twist on the advice you have been receiving (much of which is very good, by the way.)





I agree with those who suggest you discuss the situation, in person, with the individual who hired you. But, my suggestion is that instead of telling them you have ACCEPTED an offer that better fits your degree. I would start by explaining just what you have described in you question. Then, I would tell them you have RECEIVED an offer. Then, express appreciation for their willingness to hire you and ask if they have any positions in their company that are similar to the one you have received an offer for and ask about the possibilities of moving into such a position with their company.





This idea may not be of value unless the company you received your first job offer from realistically has positions that do fit your degree. If they do, I think giving them the opportunity to match another offer you have received honors their original comittment to you better than simply telling them, %26quot;thanks, but see ya!%26quot; And, who knows, if they do have a position that better fits your degree, they may like you enough to give you an even better offer than the one you have in hand. They liked you enough to hire you %26quot;on the spot%26quot;, didn%26#039;t they?





Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment